Our mission is to provide exceptional service to our customers and our communities, opportunities for the personal and professional growth of our employees and value to our shareholders.
Peoples Exchange Bank History
In July 1998, Peoples National Bank and the Exchange Bank of Clyde merged to form Peoples Exchange Bank. From that day forward, as in the past, Peoples Exchange Bank was committed to providing our customers with top-notch banking services. In 1999, we expanded our territory opening the Concordia branch in May of that year. Then in August of 2000, we further solidified our committment to the North Central Kansas area by building and opening our new bank building on U.S. Highway 36 in Belleville.
After a period of concentrating on our core services, Peoples Exchange Bank opened Peoples Choice Mortgage in Manahattan in December 2006. Two years later, our Manhattan Loan Production Office (LPO) was added to our services in December 2008.
Clyde Location History
The Clyde Exchange Bank was established by F.A. Griffin on November 5, 1882 with a capital of $5,000 and conducted a banking business under this name for 20 years. Mr. Griffin then sold the bank to a co-partnership consisting of S.T. Powell and G.G. Goodwin, who operated as a private bank until they incorporated and chartered The State Exchange Bank on February 5, 1909.
Next the Clyde bank sold to James B. Lower, C.L. Potter and Associates in 1918 and nationalized under a National Bank charter on July 1, 1920. In June 1960, Robert K. Reese, W. Frederick Reese and Associates purchased the interest held by the heirs of the Lower family.
The bank was originally in a small frame building which was destroyed in the Clyde fire of 1887. After the fire, a new two-story brick building was erected. The Clyde Exchange Bank used this building from the 1800's until a new facility was completed in 1976. This move allowed the bank to offer a superior facility with new services such as night depository, a drive-up window, and in-house computer.
On June 1, 1978, the bank changed from a national charter to a state charter. Thus, the name also changed to The Exchange Bank of Clyde. In April 1984, W.E. Oakes, Donald R. Lackamp and Associates, purchased the interests of Robert K. Reese, W. Frederick Reese, and Clair Anderson. Clair Anderson continued to serve as President until February 1, 1992, having served as managing officer since September 1950. He was succeeded as President and Managing Office by Donald R. Lackamp, Former President and Managing Office of the Cloud County Bank and Trust in Concordia.
Belleville Location History
Two farmers, a physician, a druggist, and a bank clerk organized the original bank and made application to the Comptroller of Currency on July 3, 1909. Opening August 1, 1910 at the corner of 19th and M Streets, Peoples National Bank made its debut in a new building and continued in this location for over 75 years. The bank was the first rural Kansas bank to install electronic data processing of accounts in August, 1958. A few years later, in May 1965, Peoples was the first rural Kansas bank to offer closed circuit television drive-in banking.
In March 1984, Roger Mock and Rodney Peake bought the bank. The pair purchased Peoples from Mr. and Mrs. Paul G. Fulcomer, Mrs. Paul J. (Faye) Fulcomer, and Mock's father, K.Q. Mock. The combined interest owned by the Fulcomers and Mocks represented 100 percent of the bank.
The first president of the Peoples National Bank was H.H. Collins. Paul J. Fulcomer became president in 1934 and served in that capacity until 1960 when his son, Paul G. Fulcomer, became president.